Saturday, February 18, 2012

How has the Internet affected our Research

This week, I had the opportunity to join some group members and give a presentation about how misinformation is running rampant in cyberspace. Unfortunately, we did not have time to touch on everything we wanted to, so here is my unspoken say in the matter.

Like I mentioned earlier, the internet is affected the way we think and act. Because we have information available with a click keyboard, we have become very lazy in the way we consume information. If I am curious about politicians, issues, or anything in general, I go straight to Google.com, and I doubt many people do any differently. Sadly, the information that pops up on Google is not always accurate, but it is the first that comes up, so we assume that it is the best information because we are too lazy to conduct further research. Even though our lives have become very busy, it is still important to conduct our research with credible sources. I am not saying to never use Google, but I am saying to use it wisely and think critically about the information we consume. It may be difficult, but the internet is turning us into a lazy society, and we need to fight against it!

No comments:

Post a Comment