Thursday, January 19, 2012

Digital Divide has Invaded My Apartment!

I thought it was interesting that after I learned about digital divide in class, I saw it in the real world. One of my roommates was really nice to her brother and let her use her cell phone for a couple weeks. I never noticed any change, but she told me that she felt disconnected because she was the only one who was not texting or talking to someone of a phone. She felt unplugged, and she liked not feeling a sense of freedom from technology. However, this lack of attachment to technology was creating a bit of a digital divide.

I know this is only a small portion of what people with very little access to technology are experiences. Those impoverished people who have no access to the internet are falling more and more behind in our society. If something does not change this digital divide is only going to get worse and worse.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that many people don't have the Internet, but do they all really want it? What if there are people, such a native tribes, that do not want to get digitally connected because it negatively impacts their culture? How do you help spread the internet, and the positive benefits of it without damaging native cultures?

    ReplyDelete