Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Some thoughts on WWII Art

So thankfully, I actually saw the WWII art display at the MOA last winter, which will hopefully help me learn about the 20th Century. It was really interesting. Nearly everything was full of propaganda, including Disney cartoons. There were several advertisements for help towards the war, whether it was enlisting, buying bonds, or sending supplies. This is where the famous "I Want You" Uncle Sam poster comes in. It was interesting how US art demonstrated the enemy in the War. Everyone in those countries seemed to be merciless savages whose main goal in life was to make Americans miserable. It seems to be a time when people did not try to understand foreigners, and there seemed to be a lot of nationalism. I just got some thoughts to go off on a nice tangent so I will do that in my next post. Anyway, the styles of the time are also very interesting. I seem to think of the new Captain America movie when I look back on all of the art I saw. I think the movie did a very good job in that sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment