Saturday, March 31, 2012

My Personal Experience with Connecting

In my first year of college, I was assigned to write a research paper on a recently discovered ant in Australia. As I began my research, I discovered that I needed more information, and the few articles available were written by one expert, who happened to be a professor in Denmark. I found the website of his university and translated it into English in order to find his contact information. I sent him an email, expressing my interest in his work and explaining the research I was conducting. He responded fairly quickly, and we began communicating about my work. He gave me much more information for my research and gave me permission to use all of his images and charts. I then published my work for everyone to use because hardly anyone knew about this incredible species of ant. Making that connection made my research so much more meaningful and created a spark of excitement in my work. That experience led me to write about Library Research 2.0 because I want others to experience that spark that I felt and make their research so much more meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment