Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Who Am I Talking To?: A Question of Audience

Taylor, my fellow leader in my inquiry project group, brought up some really good points about targeting our audience and how we can influence them. So here are my thoughts on possible audience members and how we could make a difference with our project. 

If we target students: We could post our info online (maybe a BYU site) and ask the library to play our video on their TVs on the third floor. I could also ask the other Peer Mentors to host workshops with your information to help students in the First Year Writing Course.

If we target teachers or librarians: We could present a proposal to include our information in the Library instruction course or mention our information when the First Year Writing class is doing their research unit. We could also speak to Advanced Writing professors (I have a relative who teaches advanced writing, so maybe I could do some social proofing.


I also made a point earlier that the those teaching the library research portion of First Year Writing seem to be stuck on scholarly articles and books rather than web tools. However, I think if we focus on how to use web tools to enhance those sources and allow others to view student research using Library Research 2.0 techniques, they would be very interested. If we focus our attention on a student audience, we would have to shift our project to focus on using Library Research 2.0 to save time with research and convince them to put in the necessary time to publish their work in such a way that other students could use. 


Their are clear benefits to both. However, I feel like we should choose our audience soon, so we can focus our research better. My personal choice? I am not sure although I am leaning towards teachers and librarians. I feel like they could influence students in the work they do, and our work would have much higher chances of actually making a difference in the academic world.

No comments:

Post a Comment