Thursday, March 1, 2012

Technology Takes its Tole

I recently read a fascinating article by Sherry Turkle, a professor of the social studies of science and technology at MIT, about how technology is making us more antisocial and substituting real lives for virtual ones. People live an entire virtual existence, designing their dream mansion and perfect life on the computer. The shy get to live bold, and everyone gets to live the life they've always dreamed of. The problem? IT'S NOT REAL! People get obsessed and emotional attached to a virtual life which holds no actual meaning. Furthermore, this often leads to a depression when reality finally sets in.

Even for those who do not create virtual lives for themselves, technology still manages to steal time away from us. If we have a few minutes before class starts, we check Facebook or text instead of taking time for personal reflection or noticing those around us. Devices like laptops and smart phones were invented to multitask and save time. However, it seems like we fill up every available minute using these gadgets and have lost valuable time to take our time. It is no longer normal for people to take time to ponder, reflect, and simply appreciate the world around them.

One way I have tried to counter this is by walking to school. While I walk, I put my cell phone and iPod deep in the bowels of my backpack and take the time to think. I notice the beauty of fallen snow on a tall pine tree or reflect on my experiences. No matter what I think about, I always make sure to take the time to think. Hopefully the rest of the world catches on before we completely transform into the horror described in Surrogates, living lives that aren't truly ours in fast-paced world.

No comments:

Post a Comment